GATE (Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering) is a national level entrance test for admission in masters & doctoral programmes in engineering, architecture and in other allied branches of science. The GATE exam is conducted by IITs and IISc on a rotational basis. This year, IIT Madras will conduct GATE 2021 exam. The GATE score is considered by various Government and Private institutions for admission in different courses. Interested candidates who want to appear in the GATE must collect information with regard to the registration process, eligibility, examination scheme, syllabus and exam schedule etc. The GATE registration can be done through online mode only. Candidates must apply within the prescribed schedule. Aspirants can check here detailed information about the upcoming GATE 2021 exam.
GATE 2021 Exam Dates
The candidates can check GATE 2021 exam dates in the table below:
|Exam Events||Dates (Tentative)|
|GATE 2021 online registration will commence from||1st week of September 2020|
|Due date for registration of application form||last week of September 2020|
|Last date for applying with late fee||1st week of October 2020|
|Last date for request to change the examination city||3rd week of November 2020|
|Mock Test release date||3rd week of November 2020|
|Availability of GATE admit card||January 2021|
|GATE Exam Date||February 2021|
|Answer keys release date||Within 15 days from the exam|
|Result declaration||March 2021|
|Release of score card||March 2021|
|Start of counselling process||1st week of April 2021|
GATE Application Form 2021: Registration Process
The candidates should read GATE 2021 information bulletin carefully before going to fill GATE application form. Check the following information regarding GATE application form:
- Candidates can submit application form through online mode only at official website as there will be no printed version of the application form available for sale.
- Online registration for GATE 2021 exam will commence from the 1st week of September 2020.
- The last date for submitting GATE application form 2021 will be last week of September 2020.
- Aspirants have to access the GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) for registration.
- Fill all the information asked in the application form and be careful while entering personal information, academic details and address etc.
- Upload scanned images the passport size photograph, signature and thumb impression in the prescribed format and specifications.
- You also need to upload qualifying degree certificate, and category certificate (if applicable).
- All the images should be in JPEG format with specified size and dimension.
- Candidates are required to mention ID Number from any one of the ID proof like PAN Card, Voter ID, Aadhar Card, Driving License and Passport etc.
- Candidate should own a valid e-mail ID and mobile number.
- Pay the necessary application fee in order to complete the registration process.
- Take the printout of the application form at the end and keep it safe for future reference.
- No need to send the hard copy of the application form to the concerned authority.
Applicants have to pay the requisite application fee to complete the application process. Those who will not pay the application fee, their application will not be accepted the application form will be rejected accordingly. The application fee is non-refundable in nature. Candidates can pay application fee through online means such as Net Banking, Debit/Credit Card or e-Challan. GATE 2021 application fee structure is as under:
|Female candidate||Rs. 750/-|
|SC/ST/PwD candidate||Rs. 750/-|
|All other candidate||Rs. 1500/-|
|Gate International Candidates||50 US Dollars|
GATE 2021 Eligibility Criteria
All the candidates should satisfy eligibility conditions before making an online application. Candidates are hereby recommended to go through the official GATE notification 2021. The GATE eligibility criteria are as under:
- The applicant must be an Indian citizen.
- There is no age limit for appearing in GATE.
|Qualifying degree/ Exam||Degree status||Year of Qualification should not be later than|
|Candidates must possess a Bachelor degree in Engineering/ Technology (four year after 10+2 or three years after B.Sc./ Diploma in Technology /Engineering)|
Candidates who are in the final year of qualifying examination may also apply for GATE 2021.
|Completed or pursuing final year of qualifying degree.||2021|
|Int. M. Sc./ Int. B.S-M.S||Candidate must have completed Integrated M.Sc. or 5 year integrated BS/MS program||Completed or currently pursuing 4th year of qualifying degree||2021|
|B.Sc. (Research)/ B.S.||Candidates must possess Bachelor degree in Science (Post-Diploma /4 years after 10+2).||Completed or pursuing final year of qualifying degree.||2021|
|B. Arch.||Candidate must be a Bachelor degree holder of Architecture (5 years course)||Completed or pursuing in the final year of qualifying degree.||2021|
|M. Sc./ MCA / M.A or equivalent||Candidate should have Master’s degree in any branch of Mathematics/ Science / Computer Applications/ Statistics/ or equivalent||Completed or Currently in final year of qualifying degree.||2021|
|Int. M.E./ M. Tech. or Dual Degree|
(after Diploma or 10+2)
|Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Technology/ Engineering (Five year program)||Already completed or pursuing 4th/5th year.||2022|
|Int. M.E/ M. Tech (Post-B.Sc.)||Applicant must have a Post-BSc Integrated Master’s degree programs in Engineering /Technology (4 year program)||Completed or pursuing in the 2nd / 3rd /4th year|
|Professional Society Examination(equivalent to B.E./B. Tech./ B. Arch)||Candidates should hold certificate of B.E/B.Tech /B.Arch equivalent examinations of Professional Societies, recognized by UPSC / MHRD /AICTE||Completed section A or equivalent of such professional Programmes|
GATE Exam Pattern 2021
Candidates who are planning to appear in the GATE 2021 examination, should know about the GATE examination pattern. The following information has been collected based on available facts:
- Total Papers: GATE 2021 exam will be conducted for 23 subjects in the month of February 2021.
- Exam mode: The exam will be held through online mode only i.e. Computer based test.
- Duration of Exam: The GATE exam consists of a single paper of 3.00 hours duration.
- Number of Questions: Each paper will contain 65 questions carrying 100 marks
- Type of Questions: Two types of questions will be there, one is multiple choice question (MCQ) and another one is the numerical answer type (NAT) question.
- Marking Scheme: MCQ and NAT type questions will carry 1 and 2 marks respectively. There will be negative marking for MCQ type questions and 1/3rd mark will be deducted for the wrong attempt. However, no negative marking for NAT type questions.
- In the papers containing the codes AE, AG, CS, BT, CE, CH, EC, PE, PI, EE, ME, IN, MN, MT, TF and XE, the General Aptitude will contain 15% of the total marks, Engineering Mathematics will contain 15% of the total marks and the rest 70% of the total marks is dedicated to the subject of the paper.
- For papers with codes CY, EY, AR, PH, MA, GG, and XL, 85% of total marks will be from General Aptitude section and rest 15% will be based on subject of the paper.
List of GATE 2021 Papers with corresponding Codes
|Textile Engineering and Fiber Science||TF||Ecology and Evolution||EY|
|Production and Industrial Engineering||PI||Electrical Engineering||EE|
|Physics||PH||Electronics and Communication Engineering||EC|
|Metallurgical Engineering||MT||Computer Science and Information Technology||CS|
|Mining Engineering||MN||Chemical Engineering||CH|
|Mechanical Engineering||ME||Civil Engineering||CE|
|Aerospace Engineering||AE||Architecture and Planning||AR|
|Life Sciences||XL||Agricultural Engineering||AG|
GATE Preparation Tips
Candidates who are willing to appear in GATE 2021 exam should follow a preparation strategy to crack the exam. Aspirants can check here some of the tips which will be helpful in the preparation of the exam:
- Candidates are recommended to obtain GATE 2021 official notification from the GATE website.
- Go through the exam pattern and syllabus and marking scheme etc. information.
- Now divide syllabus based on their importance. Focus more on the weak subject.
- You must make a proper timetable for study and follow it passionately.
- Collect previous year question papers and solve them.
- Candidates should also collect good books which are helpful in the preparation of GATE exam.
- Do not take the unnecessary burden, it will affect your performance during the exam.
- Apart from the above, candidates should take care of physical and mental health.
GATE Syllabus 2021
Candidates participating in the GATE 2021 exam should know the syllabus of the exam. To know the syllabus, candidates should go through the official advertisement of the GATE. The syllabus for each paper will be different. All the papers will consist of General Aptitude Questions other than questions from the concerned subject. Candidates should start preparation according to the subject chosen.
GATE 2021 Admit Card
- The admit card will be issued to the eligible candidate through online mode only.
- Candidate can download the same from GOAPS website by entering registration ID/e-mail and password.
- GATE Hall Ticket 2021 will be available online from the 1st week of January 2021.
- Candidate should download the admit card from the official website and take a printout of the admit card.
- Remember, the authority will not send hard copy of the admit card via post hence, obtain your admit card within the given time frame.
- Applicant must carry the admit card along with a valid ID proof while appearing in the GATE 2021 exam.
GATE 2021 Result
- GATE result 2021 will be declared by the concerned authority through online mode.
- The competent authority will announce GATE result 2021 in the 2nd week of March 2021.
- Candidates can download their result from the official website by entering registration ID and date of birth.
- After downloading the result, take the printout of the same for future reference.
- The concerned authority will not send the hard copy of the GATE result to anyone.
GATE 2021 Score Card
- After the declaration of result, the GATE score card will be made available to the participants.
- The GATE score card will contain the details of the candidate’s marks and rank secured in the entrance exam.
- The GATE 2021 scorecard will be available for download from 3rd week of March 2021.
- Candidates should take the printout of the GATE score card and keep it safe for future reference.
GATE Cut-off Marks 2021
The GATE cut-off marks may vary from course to course. Cut-off mark is the minimum qualifying marks on the basis of which candidates can get admission in the desired course. The GATE cut off marks will be available online on the official website. Candidates can check previous year cut-off marks. However, we recommend that each candidate should focus on their study only and prepare yourself for the GATE exam.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question: How can I apply for GATE 2021?
|Answer: Visit GATE Online Application Processing System (GOAPS) portal for submitting GATE 2021 application form. Read the instruction carefully and apply online.|
|Question: Can I apply for GATE 2021 exam through offline mode?|
|Answer: No. There will be no hard copy of GATE application form for sale available. Apply online.|
|Question: How can I pay the application fee?|
|Answer: You can make payment of application fee through Debit card, Credit card, net banking or e-challan as per your convenience.|
|Question: Is there number of attempts fixed for GATE exam?|
|Answer: No. There is no limit to the number of attempts.|
|Question: What is the maximum age limit for appearing in GATE exam?|
|Answer: There is no age limit.|
|Questions: If my internet connection failed during the application process then what should I do?|
|Answer: You should log in to GATE 2021 registration portal again continue to fill the application form.|
|Question: How can I check the status of my application?|
|Answer: You should log in to GOAPS website after submitting the online application.|
|Question: Is it necessary to upload photograph and signature with given specification?|
|Answer: Yes, you have to upload photograph and signature with required specification otherwise application form will be rejected.|
|Question: Is there any provision of negative marking in the GATE 2021 exam?|
|Answer: Yes negative marking is applicable for multiple choice questions only.|
|Question: Is it necessary to upload category certificate?|
|Answer: Yes. Reserved category candidates seeking relaxation in application fee should upload category certificates.|
|Question: Should I send the hard copy of the application form to the authority?|
|Answer: No, there is no need to send hard copy of the GATE application form.|
|Question: What will be the expected cut-off marks for GATE 2021?|
Answer: Cut-off marks are different for each year, one cannot expect the cut-off marks. You should focus on your study only.
GATE 2021 Counselling
- There is no as such counselling process for admission in M. Tech./M. Arch./M. Plan courses after the GATE exam.
- Candidates have to report to the individual institute for admission as per their admission notification.
- However, for admission in all NITs and centrally funded institutions, there is Centralised counselling for M.Tech./M.Arch./M.Plan courses.
- Institute will publish notification for admission as per the admission schedule.
- Candidates should be aware of the admission process. Keep checking official website of the desired IITs, IISc for information.
- Seat allotment will be done on the basis of candidate’s GATE score, choice-filled, category and seat availability etc.
Stay connected with us for more information on GATE 2021 exam.